Wondering how to add a link to your TikTok bio? The platform doesn’t make it easy — you’ll need to switch to a Business account. This step-by-step tutorial can help.
So, you’re ready to boost your presence as an influencer on TikTok. As you make a name for yourself on TikTok, you can use this platform to get more eyes on your other channels, too.
Whether you want to sell products in an e-commerce store or you just want to build a bigger email list, you can use TikTok’s link-in-bio feature to grow and monetize your following.
There’s just one little problem: Adding a link to your TikTok bio isn’t always simple or straightforward. You need a Business Account and at least 1,000 followers to qualify for this feature, plus other sticky requirements. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to add a link to your TikTok bio, plus a few pro tips on how to optimize your bio to get even more traction.
How to Add a Link to Your TikTok Bio
Like Instagram, TikTok only allows you to share one clickable link in your profile. When people visit your TikTok profile page, they can click on the link underneath your bio to learn more about you, your content, and any other offerings you have.
But how do you add a website link to your TikTok bio? Follow these quick steps to get this set up in no time.
Step 1: Open the TikTok App
Open TikTok on your phone and go to Profile.
Step 2: Make Sure You Have a Business Account
Next, you’ll need to set up a TikTok Business Account (formerly known as a Pro Account). A TikTok Business Account will give you access to link-in-bio features as well as:
- Music library
- Advice directly from TikTok
And yes, if you’re worried about whether being an influencer counts as commercial use, it does. However, Business Accounts are available for personal use as well, so don’t worry about whether you’re actually a registered business or not.
Here’s how to do it once you’re on your profile. You should see three lines in the upper right corner.
Click on these lines to go to your Settings > Manage account.
Now, click Switch to Business Account.
You’ll see the following screen. Hit Next.
Next, you’ll need to choose a category to describe your business.
Step 3: Add a Link to Your Profile
After you’ve set up a Business Account, visit your profile and tap the Edit Profile button and go to the Website field. Drop in your URL and tap Save.
The link in your bio can go to a page that lists just about anything, including:
- Links to your own e-commerce products
- Affiliate links
- Your other social accounts
- Your personal website
- Your blog
- Your e-book
- A link-in-bio microsite
Once you drop your URL into your profile, be sure to revisit your profile and double-check that the link is clickable.
I Can’t Add a Link to My TikTok Bio — What’s Going On?
Learning how to add a link to your TikTok bio isn’t always simple. If you’re having problems with this, it‘s likely because of:
- Compatibility: If you’re trying to use TikTok in a browser on your laptop, this feature isn’t going to work. You have to use your TikTok app on a smartphone to add a link to your bio.
- Account type: Remember, TikTok only allows a link-in-bio for Business Accounts. You won’t see this feature if you still have a Personal Account. That means you’ll need to convert your Personal TikTok account if you want to use this feature.
- Location: Depending on where you live, TikTok bio links might not be available. They‘re only available in the U.S., U.K., Canada, and a handful of other countries right now. You can always get in touch with the folks at TikTok support to let them know you’d like to see this feature in your country.
- Follower minimums: Anyone used to be able to drop a link in their bio, but then TikTok experienced a flood of spam bots. Because of that, the platform now requires you to have at least 1,000 followers (plus a Business Account) to unlock the link-in-bio feature.
What’s the Benefit of Adding a Link to My TikTok Bio?
It’s easy to learn how to add a link to your TikTok bio. Adding a link also opens up plenty of benefits. It can:
- Boost website traffic: Do you want more people to visit your website? Adding a link to your website in your bio will help you build a cult fan following off of TikTok, too.
- Own your data: Right now, TikTok owns your followers. That means if the platform disappeared overnight, you’d lose all of your clout. But by adding a website link to your bio, you can start to build relationships with these followers outside of TikTok.
- Generate sales: Want to earn more from your following? Add a link to your courses, downloadable content, merchandise, and e-commerce products to your TikTok bio.
- Save time: Are you tired of reintroducing yourself to new followers? If people just found your channel, you can direct them to a website link that explains your story — which means you can spend more time filming fun TikTok videos instead of retelling your origin story.
- Grow other social channels: Using a link-in-bio site like Hype allows you to share links to other social platforms, like Youtube or Instagram, which allows you to cross-pollinate between channels.
3 Ways to Optimize Your TikTok Bio
Sure, you’ve learned how to add a link to your TikTok bio, but this isn’t the end of the road. Influencers should continue optimizing their TikTok bios and profiles to get more traction. If you want to deepen relationships with your followers, streamline your burgeoning business, and save time, follow these three tips to optimize your TikTok bio:
1. Write a Killer Bio
While your featured link does matter, you should frame it with a well-written bio that persuades people to click.
Every creator is different, but you can write a better bio by:
- Distilling your message: TikTok only gives you 80 characters for your bio, so keep it brief and punchy. Briefly touch on who you are, what you post, and why you’re worth a follow. Your bio should touch on all of that in less than 80 characters, so write thoughtfully. You can always write a few bio options and ask a friend which is best for your brand.
- Writing accurately: This is a space where you prime your followers on what they can expect from you. Make sure your bio actually reflects what you’re posting.
- Adding emojis: Look, 80 characters isn’t a lot of space. Fortunately, TikTok allows you to throw in a few emojis. Use emojis to say more in less space and to draw attention to your link-in-bio, too.
- Including a call to action: What do you want people to do next? Add a quick call to action (CTA) asking them to tap your TikTok bio link for exclusive content, products, or anything else you want to promote.
If you aren’t sure whether your bio is effective or not, you can always test a few options to see what brings in the most clicks.
2. Try Hype
But what if you can’t decide between featuring your e-commerce portal or your latest TED Talk? With influencer marketing tools like Hype, you don’t have to choose.
Among its many features for creators, Hype has a link-in-bio tool that you can use to create a mobile-friendly landing page. You can give followers multiple ways to engage with you in one link, helping you make the most of your TikTok fame.
With Hype, you can:
- Create a free link-in-bio microsite
- Text your audience
- Capture emails and more with free signup forms
- Manage your audience data in a customer relationship management (CRM) tool
Oh, and the best part? Hype is free.
3. Integrate Your Other Social Media Accounts
You might be tempted to use a link to your YouTube channel on TikTok as your link-in-bio, but don’t do that just yet. TikTok allows creators to connect their Instagram accounts and YouTube channels to the platform. This means you can promote not only your Instagram and YouTube, but also include a link-in-bio to your e-commerce products, affiliate links, or anything else that you want to promote.
You’re already creating content on these platforms, anyway, so this feature is a great way to drive traffic to all of your social channels. Plus, you don’t have to waste your link-in-bio on social links, which is a big win.
The Creator HQ
Join thousands of creators and build landing pages, grow your audience, and get paid on your terms, all in one place.
It’s Time to Be Strategic About Your TikTok Bio
As an influencer, you live and die by your follower engagement. Your followers want to support you and your content, so give them another avenue to interact with you. Adding a link to your TikTok bio will help you save time, score more monetization opportunities, and create a beloved personal brand.
To add a link to your TikTok bio, you just need to create a Business Account, edit your profile, and drop in a link of your choosing. To get the most mileage out of your TikTok link-in-bio, be sure to write a descriptive bio, use a link-in-bio tool like Hype, and integrate your other social channels with TikTok.